spring shabby blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mt. Rainier National Park

Hello there!


What a great trip we had! Took Friday from work off and boarded the 10a.m ferry overtown, had a leisurely drive through beautiful Seattle then put on the gps and punched in Ashford. After looking on line the month before we decided to book a cabin through http://www.jasmers.com/ and we decided on the wild bird room that came with a kitchenette and wonderful propane stove. Very cozy and romantic. On the way their we passed by a Krispy Kreme donut shop and my husband had to point it out, I yelled out stop!!!! so we turned in and bought just 1 each, I love the plain glazed donut and it was all warm and gooey, I wanted another one or 2 but we got in the car and I told Ed that he better drive away quick before I changed my mind. We had a nice drive through the back roads and before we realized it we were there. Once we had settled in we asked the owners what they would recommend for a restaurant, he gave us a list along with a map and within 10 minutes we had driven by all of the 6 or 7 that they had, and decided to eat at the Copper Creek Inn.... What a treat! we were greeted with a friendly smile and asked "would you like to have dinner with us?". We decided on soup and salad. The soup was a potato cheese with nice big chunks of potatoes, some bacon and a thick cheesy base and nicely seasoned. Alongside came a little homemade mini loaf of bread, nice and crusty on the outside warm and soft on the inside, it was just like they had taken it out of the oven for us.Our salad was fresh with some nice accoutrements and a homemade blackberry viniagrette, which was excellent! I pick blackberries every year and freeze some just so I could make my own blackberry salad dressing from time to time. My recipe I discovered from some magazine and it is the 'bomb'. Recipe as follows:
1 cup blackberries
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3TBL sugar
1 tsp dijon style mustard
1/4 tsp dried oregano-crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients in the blender except the oil-blend until smooth-I strained this as blackberry seeds can be tough & chewy. With blender running slowly add 1/2 cup oil in a thin steady stream until well combined. YUM!!
We ended up having some blackberry pie for dessert which was very good but could not compare to my own homemade pie crust that I got from my best friends mother Betty about 40 years ago. It is foolproof, easy and is nice and flaky and goes well with savory or sweet pies. I would be happy to send you Betty's piecrust recipe if you email me.
Afterwards back to our cozy cabin and then hot tubbing for a bit. whew, I'm going on and on, will continue later. It's time to light up my torch and make a few beads!
Hugs to you whoever is reading this!

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great break Denise, I love the cabin and the description of the food is making me hungry....yum!
    Hugs to you too, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love to eat :)
    I really enjoy foods made from scratch, nothing processed if possible

    ReplyDelete