spring shabby blog

Monday, November 12, 2012

Random act of kindness/Eddie's sherry cake

I like to surprise people with random acts of kindness, have you ever been the recipient of such ?   It gives you a good feeling on the inside doesn't it and makes you want to do somehing kind for someone else.   I live on an island and I have to say the people that live here are very very nice, even shopping at the grocery store, friends and acquaintances stop and chat and ask how you're doing..... people always make eye contact and just want to strike up a conversation.   They always let you merge in traffic wise and you can wear anything you want and it's OK!  meaning comfy clothes, work clothes, sweats... whatever.

So here's my random act of kindness for you!
Please post a comment here and I will choose a winner this coming weekend.  I will choose randomly.
 Yes it's getting to that time of year again and I look forward to the yummy goodies that everyone bakes at Christmas time.   One of my favorite things that I bake is Sherry Cake, my brother who passed away many years ago discovered the recipe in the local newspaper and I make it every year at Christmas time, it's super moist and calls for a little livingston cream sherry to give it that distinct and unique flavor, plus you eat it with a dusting of powdered sugar so you can have an extra large slice because there is no icing!  It always stirs up lovely memories that I have of my older brother.  One particular memory is when we were in our early 20's and got into an dissagreement.. I was determined that I was right and he was wrong and I wasn't going to speak to him....EVER!!!.... he called me a couple of weeks later and when I answered Hello... he said.... Want to be friends?, it melted my heart and I learned what a wonderful blessing it is to be the first one to give in, say their sorry or just call.  That one simple act and lovely gesture on Eddie's part has helped me through my years as a mother, wife and friend.  Life is too important to hold onto grudges isn't it.


Eddie's Sherry Cake recipe

Heat over to 325 degrees
Mix in a bowl together:
4 eggs
2/3 cup Livingston cream sherry
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water

then:

Add the following:
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 package pillsbury plus yellow cake mix with pudding in it.

mix at medium speed x 5 minutes
bake in a greased bundt pan @325 degrees for 45-50 minutes
let cool.... dust with powdered sugar

I put my powdered sugar in a  metal sifter and shake gently...or not!! over the cooled cake.
thanks Eddie, I miss you.
 
I own a kitchen aid mixer.... a MUST have for any cook or baker~~ no substitues!!
 much love,
Denise xx

18 comments:

  1. Well Denise,
    You have managed to do two things with this post.
    First you have made me hungry with talk of this Sherry Cake (yes please for the recipe). Second you have described a way of living that I think a lot of people would love to be able to say the same, and I am sure it is reflected in your work as well. Keep it going, we love it,
    Tami

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well Denise,
    anothoer to add to my wish list :)
    a kitchen aid mixer :)
    thank u for the recipe,
    will try to get to it!
    xoxo
    book kuan
    limboonkuan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you bk! yes definately invest in the kitchen aid mixer, I had my first one that lasted 25 years

      Delete
  3. Eddie's cake sound just yummy Denise. What a lovely act of kindness you are showing. Your home sounds a kind and loving place to be. Take care,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise,
    Your island sounds like a wonderful place to live. Coming from a small Midwest town, I, too, have enjoyed that type of community.
    Thank you once again for your generosity. Your lovely beads have decorated many of my "random acts of kindnesses." The teachers at school love it when I have been beading.
    Tina E

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Your cake will be added to my waist, I mean my list, very soon. Can't wait! I really enjoy your descriptions of your beloved island. Sounds wonderful! Thank you for ALL of your many kindnesses.
    Gale

    ReplyDelete
  6. Denise,

    I was just browsing through your store on Etsy(I love doing this, as your precious beads always bring a smile to my face). I think your work is absolutely beautiful, I can truly see your kindness and generosity of spirit reflected in your beads and I am very happy and honored to own a few of your beautiful works of art. I noticed while reading at the top of your page on Etsy that you had a blog spot so I thought I would check it out and I am so glad I did. Not only did I find a recipe that I would love to make, I also learned about the wonderful place in which you live.

    Sincerely,
    Anita Gettys

    ReplyDelete
  7. So D, I hope there is room on your lovely island for me and my family too because it sounds awesome! I live in Lincoln, California very near the state capitol (Sacramento, CA) and it is always rush, rush, rush, with some very impatient people.

    I just love nice people and often find myself participating in random acts of kindness myself. I work at a local high school and quite frequently encourage the students to do a random act of kindness to some of their friends, teachers and/or relatives just so they can report back to me and let me know how it made them feel. Knowing I can help spread something so wonderful and to see these kids tell their stories is something I really enjoying being a part of. I hope you continue to do your random acts, as I will continue to do mine. In the mean time, I would like to say Eddie is one lucky brother to have such a special sister like you. I have already printed a copy of his special cake receipe and will share your memory with my family this holiday season as well.

    Happy Holidays my friend. :)
    Julie Leedy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is always a blessing. I love the heart that you put into it. It is never wasted. Thank you. Jo Balisky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found you work and your blog! Loving you owls!! And truly looking forward to trying out this cake! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete