spring shabby blog

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Red Velvet cake recipe

Okay so you know I love the sweets and I discovered this recipe and it's my go-to one for red velvet cake!  I find it very moist.  serves around 12 people. 


Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.  I also cut out parchment paper and line the bottom as I want it guaranteed that it will come out of the pan smoothly.  Did you know that I taught cake decorating for fun for awhile?   I always made my children's birthday cakes and made 2 wedding cakes as gifts for 2 of my friends when they got married.

In your kitchen aid mixer on a low medium speed mix until creamy
  • 1/2 cup of butter (NO substitutes!) , yes 1 complete cube of butter
  • 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
  • then add in 2 eggs, 1 at a time and beat until the mixture is fluffy, about a minute or 2.
Sift together:
  • 2 cups cake flour
  • 1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Other ingredients:
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 ounces red food coloring, If it's not on sale and too pricey you can add just one
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar

Add the flour mixture alternating with buttermilk in several additions.  Mix in 1 teaspoon of your homemade vanilla extract (it's the best), and the red food color until the batter is uniformly colored.   In a separate bowl --stir the baking soda with vinegar, and gently fold the foamy mixture iinto the batter.  Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans and bake for about 30minutes.

I frost mine with cream cheese icing:

  • 2- 8 oz blocks of cream cheese
  • another cube of butter, yikes!
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar--I always sift mine
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
enjoy!
much love,
Denise


No comments:

Post a Comment