spring shabby blog

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Cinnamon Roll Recipe for Debbie

So sweets have always been a weakness for me.  I've perfected many recipes and have many cookie recipes from 40 years ago that I treasure.  One of my favorite cookbooks is Jackie Olden's "Come into the kitchen"  She was a talk radio host back in the 80's and I met her at the Long Beach Convention Center and purchased her cookbook there.  It is the one 'go to' cookbook that I use. Pages were so worn and tattered that I was able to locate another one and purchased it online to replace the one I had.

One of my son's favorite sweets that I make are my homemade Cinnamon Rolls, they are on their 2nd rising now and the lovely aroma that wafts all through the house is amazing.  It yields a dozen and since they are best straight from the oven, I usually deliver some cinnamon rolls while still warm and oozing with icing to neighbors because we really can't eat all 12.  I think they are best eaten within 24hours..  So Kameron's home working in the Seattle area for a few months and I really enjoying making some when he's here.

Here's my recipe:

Rolls
1 Tbl active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk (112 degrees approx )
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
4 cups of flour

Icing:
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla ~~ click on to bring up a link to show you how it's done.  I like using sky vodka.


I proof the yeast by adding it to the warm milk along with a little bit of the sugar whisked in, set the timer for 5 minutes until it gets bubbly and foamy then add the remaining ingredients, set the timer for 10 minutes and let the dough knead in your kitchen aid mixer.

Now place dough in a bowl that has been coated with some oil, cover it and let it rise for about 2 hours or until it has doubled.

Punch it down, let it rest for 5 minutes and then roll it out to about 16x20 inches.  I always use my marble slab for this that I purchased at Sur La Table

In a bowl mix 1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 Tbl cinnamon  I always use organic ceylon cinnamon.

Spread on 1/3 cup of softened butter and then sprinkle on the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.  Roll it up lengthwise and cut into 12 sections -they are about 1 3/4 inches each.  Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, cover and let rise until doubled.

Bake in a 400 degree over for about 15 minutes

When warm spread on the yummy icing

Hoping some of you bakers out this try this and give me your feedback!

much love,
Denise



1 comment:

  1. They look delicious, Denise!! Thank you so much for the recipe....:)

    XO,

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete